Can You Eat Paper?

Can you eat paper

When you eat paper, you’re not actually eating the paper itself. Instead, you’re consuming cellulose, a natural substance found in trees and other plants. It’s a thickener that helps make your body feel full. This type of substance is also commonly used as a filler in food. However, it’s not healthy to eat.

Some paper is toxic, while other types of paper may be safe to eat under certain circumstances. If you think you or your child might have eaten paper, call the poison control center.

In addition to being toxic, paper can cause intestinal blockage and other serious problems. Large amounts of paper can also choke you.

Some types of paper have been treated with toxic chemicals, which can lead to gastrointestinal and respiratory problems. It can also irritate your mouth. So, if you’re thinking of eating paper, you should take small bites and chew slowly. If you’re uncomfortable, you should stop.

The main ingredients in paper are cellulose and lignin. Lignin is a naturally occurring glue that can weaken the paper. It’s usually removed during the paper-making process. To remove lignin, high-temperature cooking is necessary.

Some paper products are processed with bleaching by-products, which have been associated with cancer and reproductive harm. You should only eat paper products that are intended for human consumption.

Those who want to avoid paper can replace it with other alternatives, such as vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, and nut butters. These foods are less toxic than regular paper.